Best of breed solutions to steer transformational initiatives
Employee Experience– how an employee “feels” about working at SWN. Includes total rewards, employee satisfaction, wellness and safety, employee brand, community involvement, worker’s compensation and work environment
Workforce Planning & Analysis– ensures that HR practices are aligned with the SWN agenda and organizational performance. Organization and
Team Effectiveness– defines the people plans, strategies and requirements needed to deliver business results. Includes consulting with the business at all levels to decipher and deliver tailored and implications of change.
My roles and responsibilities
The changes have been more acute in the last four-five years than they were in the same time span previously:
• More focus on regulatory and governance issues–Dodd-Frank, ACA, DOL changes; proxy rating firm influence increase and Attention on such issues from the BOD.
• Hyper connectivity of the workforce and desire for complete transparency and access to all information– they can find it on the web, why can’t they get it from the company.
• The prevalence of a “social license” that you have to earn in order to operate in communities.
Technology trends impacting enterprise business environment”
IT will have significant impact on HR!! It will cause HR people to think, act and plan very different from today. For example:
• How can I personalize health and benefit solutions to each individual’s need?
• What is the right mix of customization and standardization?
Expectations from technology providers to improve your HR processes
• The ROI of HR investments by industry and job grouping/category
• Capability modeling software that takes capabilities of related industries/ jobs and shows where to look outside the industry for “non-traditional” hiring in a tight labor market
Using HR solutions to improve effectiveness
1. Outsource the basics as much as possible
• Benefits, pension and 401(k) administration (Gallagher, Towers Watson, DWS)
• LOA processing (Unum)
2. Leverage technology and tools to support the strategic initiatives
• Succession and talent planning (Taleo, SuccessFactors, Lominger, 360°s)
• Technical bench strength analysis and planning (TBD but similar to Petroskills)
"Achieve the right level of customization and standardization for your company, business and culture"
3. Drive change through consultative, strategic approach to the business.
• Consulting skills training and development (Right Management, CLC or gOE base type tool)
• HR competency model (Lominger, Corporate Leadership Council)
Lessons learned and advice for fellow HRs Learning and advice:
• Think like a business person at all times and be able to explain/ deliver an ROI for every dollar invested or don’t invest it.
• Achieve the right level of customization and standardization for your company, business and culture– one size does not fit all.
• Don’t do something because it is “easier for HR to administer”. Find value in other areas that are determined by stakeholders outside of the HR function.